In the last leg of the journey from Kleine Scheideg, the train runs inside the mountain, stopping at Eigerwand. There is a large window at this station inside the mountains for a breathtaking view of the snow covered valley.Here are some of the pictures taken from the train:
After reaching the Jungfraujoch station, you have to take a lift to the top. There is a hotel, two restaurants, the Sphinx observatory research station, and the glistening "Ice Palace" at Jungfraujoch. The Ice palace has a collection of ice sculptures. Here are a few pictures of the Ice Palace:
There is a flat, snow-covered area on the plateau, where one can walk around and play in the snow. There is also a 'Top of Europe' Glacier Restaurant, where you can sip hot coffee overlooking the magnificient glacier. Here are the pictures for the same:
The trip to Jungfraujoch was an exciting trip with the train journey being the highlight of this trip. In the evening we returned to Interlaken to the cosy interiors of our hostel. Later in the night, post dinner we made bonfire in the hostel and slept satisfied with our visit to Jungfrau and looking forward to our next day trip to Mt. Titlis.
- If you are staying in Interlaken, take the first train (6.35 am but please check the correct time in Interlaken) to Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen
- The holders of Eurail Pass, Swiss Pass, Swiss Card get a special discount almost amounting to 25 to 50% of the actual fare from Interlaken to Kleine Scheidegg and then onwards to Jungfraujoch
- If you have Swiss Pass or Eurail, the journey from Interlaken to Grindelwald is free, included in the Swiss/ Eurail Pass
- If you have Swiss/Eurail Pass, you get a discount of 50% from Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg thus a 2nd class return ticket will cost you only Euro 16.6 (please check current ticket price)
- If you have Swiss/Eurail Pass, you get a discount of 25% from Kleine Scheidegg to Interlaken Ost, thus a 2nd class return ticket will cost you only Euro 34.1(please check current ticket price)
- If you don't have any passes and are planning to buy a ticket, try getting the 'Good Morning Ticket' which is priced at CHF 157.80 (Please check for the latest fare) and is for the first train leaving Interlaken. This discounted ticket is only for Interlaken to Kleine Scheidegg. Thereafter you have to pay for the actual ticket price.
- Check the weather before your journey. If its cloudy, you may be wasting your time.
- Take warm clothes. They will be required in Jungfrau even if its summer
- During summers you can do skiing. So be prepared and take extra cash to rent the equipment and skiing gear
- There is a ski training school as well at Jungfrau for those new to skiing